- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2-3 chopped jalapeño chilies with seeds, or without for a mild flavor.
- 2 pounds ground beef 80/20
- 2 tablespoon chili powder
- ½ tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 2 tablespoons Tomato paste
- 1 28-ounce can tomatoes in juice, diced and peeled
- 1 can red kidney beans, drained
- 1 can Chili Beans
- 1 dried Bay Leaf
- 1 Tbsp. Tomato purée
- Lime Juice from half of large lime
- 1 to 1 ½ cup Beef broth, low sodium
- Sour cream
- Grated cheeses; Cheddar, Monterey Jack, Queso Quesadilla Cheese
- Chopped red onions
- Chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- Heat oil in saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions and sauté until lightly brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add jalapeños and garlic and sauté for a couple of minutes.
- Add ground beef and sauté until brown, breaking the meat so it can cook equally, about 5-6 minutes.
- Add chili powder, cumin, paprika and tomato paste, then mix in peeled and diced canned tomatoes, both types of beans, bay leaf, lime juice and beef broth; bring to boil on high heat. Use more broth if needed.
- Reduce heat and simmer until chili thickens and flavors blend, stirring occasionally, approximately 40 to 45 minutes.
- Skim fat from the surface of chili as the chili cooks.
- Garnish with desirable toppings, such as grated cheese, sour cream, onion, cilantro or parsley, and diced jalapeño.