- 1 lb. thin French-style green beans
- 1/2 small sweet onion, cut into thin slivers
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- generous amount thinly-sliced fresh basil
- salt and fresh-ground black pepper to taste
- 3 T extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 T fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tsp. finely minced fresh garlic
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- Start water boiling in a while you trim the beans on both ends and cut them into pieces about 2 inches long.
- Gather a handful of beans that are standing up straight and letting them fall down on to the cutting board, so the ends are even. Trim that end and then turn them over and do the same thing with the other end.
- When the water starts to boil, steam beans for 5 minutes, then drain and immediately put them in a bowl of ice water. (Some beans are tougher than others, so test one for doneness after 5 minutes to see what you think.)
- Let beans cool in the ice water about one minute, then drain immediately into a colander placed in the sink.
- While beans are cooking, cut cherry tomatoes into halves and cut the onion into thin slivers.
- When beans are draining, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, oregano, and salt to make the dressing.
- Wash fresh basil leaves and dry, then cut the basil into thin strips.
- Remove drained beans from the colander into a bowl large enough to toss ingredients together.
- Add the cherry tomatoes and onions and toss ingredients together.
- Toss with desired amount of dressing and then gently mix in the sliced basil.
- Season salad to taste with salt and fresh-ground black pepper and serve.
|Kalyn Denny is a food blogger, and the founder and creator of Kalyn’s Kitchen! Her site features easy and creative carb-conscious recipes with options for every kind of lower-carb eating plan. Check out this recipe and more at https://kalynskitchen.com/|