The holidays are the perfect time for gathering with family and friends. Sometimes those gatherings include enjoying warm beverages with family and friends. Holidays are also the time for nostalgic moments, sometimes of passed loved ones.
I can remember some of my favorite moments with my father during the holiday season: decorating the tree the Saturday after Thanksgiving while drinking egg nog and listening to Handel’s Messiah; warm mulled Mead (apple cider for the kids); a Messiah sing at our friends’ home with local musicians a week before Christmas.
Enjoy this no sugar added, healthier Hot Mulled Apple Cider recipe. I recommend the 10-inch Traditions 100% Open Skillet for this recipe.
There are a few benefits to making your Hot Mulled Apple Cider in a skillet. The main benefit using Xtrema Cookware means that you’re cooking with an all-natural, non-toxic, inorganic, and nonreactive ceramic skillet so what you cook is free of toxins.
Unlike cast iron, the Xtrema skillet is dishwasher safe for easy cleanup—so you have more time to enjoy with your family after you’ve enjoyed that delightful Hot Mulled Apple Cider.
Healthy Hot Mulled Apple Cider
- 1/2 gallon fresh apple cider
- 1 small orange, sliced, rinds removed
- 3 star anise
- 1 tsp. allspice berries
- 5 cinnamon sticks
- 1/2 cup fresh cranberries
- Pour the apple cider into the skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the orange slices to the apple cider.
- Add the star anise, allspice berries, cinnamon sticks and cranberries to the apple cider and oranges.
- Bring the cider mixture to a boil; reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Let the hot mulled apple cider cool before serving.