I don’t know what it’s like in your family, but my kids are incredibly active (one plays football for school and is a competitive cheerleader, the other is JV Captain for High School Cheer and on a Worlds Team for competitive cheer) This means they burn more calories in a single day than most people do in 2 to 3 days.
Noah, my 13 year old, is at the stage of teenage boy life where if he’s awake... he’s eating... and if he’s eating he’s focusing on what he’s eating next.
I try to keep foods and snacks on hand that are both healthy, appetizing to teenagers, high in protein, moderate in carbs, and low in sugars and processed junk. I love that our door is always open to their friends and our kitchen is usually a rotating door for neighbors, friends and teammates.
One of my favorite, and easiest after school snacks/meals for just my kids – or my kids and their friends – are quesadillas. Quesadillas are incredibly customizable, easy to make, and I have yet to meet a kid who doesn’t eat them.
There are a few things that I always have on hand at our house: tortillas (whole grain, low carb, and flour), and pizza toppings – especially pepperoni, rotisserie chicken, smoked ham lunch meat, multiple shredded cheeses ( mozzarella, quesadilla blends, pizza blends, and sharp cheddar).
This means that throwing a DIY quesadilla bar together in minutes is incredibly easy.
I pull out my giant cutting board and place all the toppings on it (less dishes to do than if I use cute dishes)
How To Make a Quesadilla Bar for 4
- 8 tortillas
- 8 - 10 oz chopped rotisserie chicken • 8 - 10 oz chopped smoked ham
- 20 slices pepperoni
- 16 oz shredded sharp cheddar
- 16 oz shredded mozzarella
- Heat your Xtrema Pan over low heat for 2-3 minutes and then spray it with your favorite cooking spray. I prefer avocado oil.
- Have the quesadillas prepared and lay it in your pan.
- Cook over a moderate low heat for 5 minutes until the cheese is nicely melted, carefully flip the quesadilla, place the lid on the pan and cook for another 3-5 minutes until the cheese is bubbly and both sides are browned and crisp.
- Place the quesadilla on a cooling rack and allow to cool for 3-5 minutes. If you cut into a quesadilla immediately the cheese will ooze out everywhere and make a giant mess.
Tip: Use a pizza cutter or scissors to cut your quesadillas. You can cut them into the traditional triangles, or for younger kids or dippers... cut the quesadillas into strips!