- 1 tbsp bacon fat
- 1 heaping cup diced ham (hickory or applewood smoked)
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1/3 cup diced green pepper
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1/2 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 8 pre-cooked medium redskin potatoes, cut into eighths
- 1 heaping cup grated extra sharp white cheddar cheese
- Preheat broiler and move the rack to the highest position.
- In the 10-inch Traditions skillet, melt bacon fat over medium heat. Once hot, add in the ham and cook until crispy and golden, about 6 minutes, before transferring it to a small dish.
- Add the onion and pepper to the skillet, stir and cook for 5 minutes or until just starting to soften. Add in garlic and thyme and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the potatoes and ham to the skillet gently mix them into the onions and peppers until the potatoes are heated through. Give the pan a shake to settle everything into an even layer. Top with cheese and slide under the broiler for 2 to 3 minutes. Watch carefully so it does not burn.
- Serve with eggs cooked how you prefer and buttered slices of toast.
You can roast your potatoes at 400 degrees for about an hour or until they piece easily with a fork. Let them cool before cutting into eighths.