- Xtrema 2-quart Baking dish
- Feel free to use any of our Versa Pans as well they work great for baking!
Base of Cake:
- 1 1/2 batches flax eggs (1 ½ Tbsp flaxseed meal + 3 ¾ Tbsp water stirred together & set aside to thicken)
- 1/4 cup Avocado Oil or Nut Butter
- 1/3 cup mashed very ripe banana
- 1/4 cup Honey or maple syrup
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground ceylon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup plain unsweetened dairy free milk of choice we used Cashew
- 1 heaping cup of grated carrot
- 1 cup finely grated apple ( we used granny smith!)
- 2/3 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1 1/3 cup gluten-free flour blend ( brown rice flour works well too!)
- 1/2 cup chopped raw nuts for topping ( we used Brazil nuts, walnuts and pecans combined)
Topping ( optional but highly recommended!!):
- 1 cup raw cashews (soaked in very hot water for 1 hour)
- 1 Tbsp melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk or dairy free milk of choice ( coconut makes it rich and creamy)
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp maple syrup, honey, or agave to sweeten
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Prepare flax eggs in a mixing bowl. Mix water and flax seed and letting it rest for a least 5 minutes or longer to firm up.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and grease your Xtrema baking vessel of choice with coconut oil or a neutral oil such as avocado to help with less sticking.
- In a large mixing bowl, add firmed up flax eggs, add oil, mashed banana, and maple syrup and whisk to combine.
- Fold in the coconut/brown sugar, salt, and cinnamon and whisk to combine nice and evenly together.
- Add almond milk and stir together, than add grated carrot and apple and stir all together until everything is evenly combined.
- Next, stir in oats, baking soda, almond flour, and gluten-free flour blend and stir to combine.
- Your mixture should be a thicker batter at this point. If to thick you can add more milk to thin it out if needed more gluten-free flour or almond flour to thicken whichever way you need.
- Prepare baking dish and top with crushed nut mixture.
- Pop in the oven 45-50 minutes until deep golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remember in our all-ceramic pans it can take a little longer to bake so add five more minutes at a time as needed until toothpick comes out clean!
- Take out of the oven and let rest in the pan for 20-25 minutes. Serve directly in pan!
- Time to whip up the topping: While this is cooling, you can make your topping by adding soaked, drained cashews, coconut oil, coconut milk, lemon, maple/honey syrup, and vanilla extract to a high-speed blender such as a vitamix and blending on high until creamy and smooth.
- Taste and adjust sweetness or tartness as needed by adding more maple syrup or lemon juice as you would like. Then refrigerate to make this nice and firm. You can frost the entire cake if desired or serve it on the side because some people may want it plain!