Caramelized Mushroom Grilled Cheese
- 8 ounces mushrooms of choice , sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 4 slices of fresh tomato
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or oil of choice
- salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter or vegan butter
- 4 slices bread of choice ( we love local multi grain)
- 4 slices of provolone cheese ( choose non-dairy if plant based!)
- In your Xtrema skillet of choice, place on stove top and heat for 5 full minutes on low. After 5 minutes add your oil. Toss in your onions for 5 minutes to get them caramelizing than add in your mushrooms and cook for another 8-10 minutes for maximum caramelization and flavor. Add salt and pepper to taste if desired. Turn skillet off and set aside.
- Next, in a clean Xtrema skillet of choice add your butter and allow it to fully melt, ( about 3-5 minutes) on low setting.
- Time to assemble sandwiches. On one slice of bread, layer cheese, caramelized mushrooms & onions, slice of tomato then more cheese to top. Layering your sandwich this way will ensure that the melty and gooey cheese will hold the sandwich together nicely. Add Salt and pepper to taste if desired . Top with the other slice of bread and lightly press together.
- In the melted butter place one sandwich down for one quick second, then flip it over to the other side ( this ensures you get butter on both sides of the bread!) Repeat with other sandwich and cook for about 2 minutes on each side or until lightly browned, then flip sandwich on other side, and cook for an additional 3 minutes, or until cheese is melted and sandwich is toasted and browned to your desired choice.
- Enjoy by itself or with your favorite side dish such as soup, chips or crispy sweet potato fries!