- 2 tbsp sesame oil or ghee
- 1 medium-large yellow onion, diced finely
- 6 cloves of fresh mined garlic
- 1 piece tbsp of ginger paste , or fresh ginger grated
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 ½ cups of Rice of choice, we love basmati or jasmine
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 bunch of chopped cilantro or parsley to garnish the rice( or combo)
For the seasoned cashews
- 1 1/2 cups raw or lightly salted cashews
- 3 tbsp Maple Syrup or Raw Honey
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- ½ salt if your cashews are not salted
- Dash of Ceylon Cinnamon
- This dish can work in a variety of Xtrema pieces, we chose the 2.5 Traditions Saucepan, and it came out just right. Choose whichever skillet or pan of choice and just make sure it has a lid.
- Now heat your pan up on low for 3 minutes before you add your oil or ghee. Once pan is pre heated add either your sesame oil or ghee to the pan. Next, add onions in and sauté on medium heat for 5-6 minutes, until it starts to soften and look translucent.
- Turn the heat to low/medium and add garlic, ginger, turmeric, and black pepper. You want to make sure you keep stirring to make sure nothing starts to burn. Continue cooking for another 5 minutes.
- Next, time to Add your rice and cook for 2 more minutes, stirring constantly so all the flavor meld together nicely before you at the liquid this is key to making such a flavorful rice!
- Now add in 2 ⅓ cups of water with the salt, bring mixture to a boil, cover with a lid and simmer for 25-30 minutes until tender and all the liquid has been absorbed. Set a timer for 20 minutes to check it because sometime depending on your stove it can cook up faster.
- While your rice is cooking up on the stove, it’s time to make the cashews!
- In a medium mixing bowl add cashews maple syrup/honey, turmeric and black pepper and cinnamon. Mix well so thoroughly combined!
- Add coated cashews to a small parchment lined skillet( 1o inch versa skillet!) and place in oven to roasted for 5 minutes at a time on low broil setting. Keep checking to get to desired charred and crispness. After they are nice and golden brown, remove from oven and let cool on parchment paper.
- At this point your rice should be all cooked and ready to serve!
- Before serving, top rice with cashews and chopped cilantro or parsley for one of the brightest, healthiest bowls of rice you will ever eat!
- Serve right on the table in your beautiful Xtrema Cookware!