- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed ( going to create a flax egg)
- 6 tablespoons warm water
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup spelt or whole wheat
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ⅔ cup melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups whole rolled oats (not instant)
- 1 cup dried or fresh cherries
- ½ cup dairy free chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease your Xtrema skillet either 10 or 12 inch with baking spray ( we use coconut oil for no sticking)
- In your mixing bowl add the flaxseed and water. Whisk it together to form flax egg, let it stand along to thicken while you mix the rets of your dry ingredients together.
- In a large or medium bowl combine both flours, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Set aside for later.
- To your mixer's bowl where your flax egg is nice and thick now, add the coconut oil, brown sugar, maple syrup, and vanilla. Turn mixer on medium to high speed and mix until everything is blended nicely together.
- Next, slowly add the dry ingredients, add one at a time to make sure everything is incorporated through the whole batter. Once everything is in, mix on high until the dough is smooth and tacky.
- Time to add the oats, cherries, and chocolate chips, mix on low speed or fold in gently by hand to keep chips and cherries intact.
- Time to bake! Scoop about 1 tablespoon of dough onto your greased Xtrema skillet. I like to use my 12inch because I can fit a few more cookies on at a time. Your 10inch will work fine too. This size will make about 25-30 small cookies, feel free to make them bigger by adding an extra tablespoon to each cookie.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until the cookies are golden brown around the edges and still soft and a touch gooey on the inside! Remove from the oven and let them cool in your skillet for at least 15 minutes. Once cooled remove from skillet and sprinkle with flakey or chunky sea salt for a touch of savory with your sweet cherry cookies!
- Enjoy with your favorite espresso or plant milk!
* If not vegan no worries, simply replace the flax seed and water mixture for two eggs. Also, feel free to use regular chocolate chips instead of dairy free.