Whole Wheat Artisan Sourdough Loaf
- 100 g active sourdough starter
- 400 g warm water
- 10g sea salt or real salt
- 500 g Organic Whole Wheat Flour or Bread Flour
- Time to mix the Dough: using a food scale to measure in grams for the best precision weigh out your active starter in a large mixing bowl.
- Next, add in on your zeroed out scale the warm water to your starter and mix until your starter totally dissolves.
- Once that is dissolved add in the remaining ingredients( Flour and Salt) make sure to zero out your scale in between to get exact measurements.
- Using a spatula or dough whisk mix all the ingredients until all the flour is properly hydrated and salt is evenly combined. This process can take up to 10 minutes, you can’t overmix so take your time and make sure everything is mixed well together. * Wet your hands in between and use you hands to really help incorporate everything.
- Cover your dough with a towel and let rest for one hour
- Once the hour is up, it is time to work the dough using a stretch and fold method or stretch and slap method. Either works.
- You want to perform 4 sets of stretch and folds with 30 minutes of resting in between.
- After you perform your last stretch and fold, it is time let your dough ferment.
- Cover your dough with a damp towel ( this makes sure your dough will not get crusty) and leave it on the counter overnight or for at least 8 hours.
- After your bulk ferment is complete, its time to shape your dough.
- Using a dough scraper or wet hand scoop out dough unto a floured surface and shape ( look up YouTube videos for different shaping ideas!)
- Once shaped, place in banneton or a bowl lined with a linen towel and flour for cold proof in the fridge. ( You can proof for just a few hours or up to 24 hours for max fermentation benefits!)
- When you are ready to bake, preheat your oven to 500 degrees Fahrenheit with your Xtrema Dutch Oven or 5.5 Versa Stock pot and allow your vessel to heat up for at least 20 minutes so it is nice and hot.
- Once your oven is nice and hot, take your dough out of the fridge and transfer to a sheet of parchment paper. Easiest way to do this is to dust the top of your dough with flour, place paper on top, hold with your hand and flip so the seem is down while baking.
- Now it is time to dust the top with extra flour and score your loaf(look up various ideas on YouTube!) You need at least one large score to allow it to open ad rise properly.
- Place your loaf in you preheat Dutch oven and cover with lid and bake for 20 minutes, lowering heat to 475
- After two minutes, remove the lid and finish baking for 25-30 minutes or until reached desired crust color!
- Once removed from the oven, take loaf out of Dutch oven and allow it to cool for at least one hour before cutting into and devouring!!
Memorial Day Sale
Enjoy 25% Off Bakeware & Teapots
20% Off Everything Else
Free Shipping over $200*