- 10 baby potatoes quartered or 2 medium potatoes cubed
- 1 yam or sweet potato, sliced or cubed
- 2 golden beets or turnips
- 3 carrots peeled and chopped
- 3 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1 onion, diced
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 cups of low-sodium vegetable broth
- 8 fresh tomatoes or 1 28 ounce can of tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar or 6 dates blended with water
- 1 teaspoon roasted cumin
- 2 teaspoon Herbs de Provence (or an Italian herb mix)
- 1 teaspoon smoked chipotle powder (optional)
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Preheat Xtrema 5.5qt Stock Pot on low.
- Sauté onions and garlic in 1 cup of vegetable broth over medium heat while you chop your veggies. Add a little more broth or water to prevent from drying out.
- Dice your potatoes and sweet potatoes. Dice the beets or turnips about the size of your potatoes as well. Chop the rest of the veggies and add to the pot when ready. Add remaining 3 cups of vegetable broth.
- Blend tomatoes, seasonings and sugar or dates in blender and add to pot.
Cover the pot, bring to a boil and then reduce to low heat and cook for 45-55 minutes until the potatoes and beets/turnips are soft.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. To make it thicker, take a potato masher and roughly mash only a part of the stew to make the broth thicken and become a chunky stew.